Monday, August 25, 2008

New Interviewer Syndrome

Referring to context of my previous blog…

What is the difference between Model-2 and Model-3 architectures? This is the question one of my colleague faced in is job interview.

One more question I was informed.. What are the different actions available in Struts? Expected answer was DispatchAction, ForwardAction, IncludeAction, DownloadAction, EventDispatchAction, LocaleAction, MappingDispatchAction etc.

How relevant are these questions in a job interview for a lateral? I call these questions as Text book questions which are intended to test the memory. I will refer asking this kind of questions in interview as “New Interviewer Syndrome”. Why? As I observed with most of interviewers including myself, in initial interviews interviewer will get tempted to do some show off and aim to ask questions which interview doesn’t even heard of. Most of the times these questions will be irrelevant. Just as in above examples, in first scenario there is nothing like Model-3 and in second case with my experience we rarely use the any thing other than DispatchAction. Ofcourse maturity will come with experience and will start asking relevant questions. Same is the case with me, now with experience of near century of interviews I concentrate only on basics that too practical things. So friends, please don’t get into this “New Interviewer Syndrome” and be good interviewers. All the best...

No comments: