Sunday, November 11, 2012

Social Influence Ranking - My take

I read some where that a celebrity is paid good money if tweeted about a product.The concept "Social Influence" is becoming prominent thanks to Social. There are quite a few sites that calculate influence scores.
Most of these methods assign either a score or level to the Social ID. But how efficient is this to use in Social Marketing? 
Lets consider ID of a popular Sports Star. He might have got millions of fans and his tweets might be re-tweeted numerous times. He might also be re-tweeting or replying to tweets. This will result in good Influence score for him. Now if a pesticide company wants to use Social channel, they might as well get influenced by the influence score and get this sports star tweet about their product. Will this of any help. In most cases no! because most of the people in his circle will be interested in sports and with little or no interest towards pesticides.
Leave aside marketing, will this score help me find whom to follow in my area of interest?I doubt, because they give high level score but doesn't say in which field they are influential. I remember Klout API does give some description about topics the person generally talk about but still it wont assign score against topic.I feel the scoring should ideally against topics and not just for ID. For example the above Sports star ID will have a high score for sports and low in politics and agriculture.I am not sure if there is any tool/site that provide this information. So far I haven't came across any. There are sites that can extract topics from feeds/data. We need this to be incorporated into Social Influence ranking algorithms for better use.

No comments: