Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Code on Your Own device (CYOD)


In my blog post in Feb, 2011  "Work on move... or coding on mobile" I envisioned possibility of coding on a mobile device. Today I was talking to my colleague who said he uses only iPad for work no Laptop!!. I asked how do you code? He connects to server using Microsoft Remote Desktop, connects a key board to iPad and codes!!. Some time back from I got to know  from IoT team of a light weight version of eclipse that works on Raspberry PI which got 1GB RAM. Today I use a phone that got 3GB RAM!!!. Don't think its long way to have Eclipse and JRE on Mobile devices. (I guess there are some issues to install eclipse directly now but there are alternatives like Ubuntu Virtual Box on Android and Eclipse on top of it, root the device and install Linux etc).

So can we see "Code on Your Own device" movement soon!!!

1 comment:

Praveen Sripati said...

With RDP or ssh it's virtually possible to code or infact do any work from any device. Nothing much interesing in it.

With SOC (Raspberry Pi etc) it's possible to do more on the move. The Pi 2 has twice the RAM, is a quad core. The good thing is Pi 2 is the same cost as the Pi. I haven't tried Java/Eclipse on Pi 2, but think it should be a possible.

Virtualization on SOC would be really a kill.